AMV CONTEST INFO
Anyone of any skill is allowed to compete in the AMV competition. Ochiba~Con staff is free to join as long as they are in no way influencing the judging processes. The AMV competition has no limits for your entries, you can submit any video you have ever made to be shown at our contest, or you can set out and make something completely new. You can enter any category, but please if you are entering Open do not enter novice.
Submission deadline is August 18, 2013
- This is an Anime Music Video Competition, so please keep your footage as anime. This is not limited to Japanese media; you can branch out and use Western media as well.
- Trailer or parody videos are not accepted. These are not music videos; they belong in another type subgenre of editing and not in this competition. Your video may have a trailer or parody feel but please keep in mind that 90% of your video music be music to flow with clips.
- When sending in your Video's, please keep them under 800mb and abide by one of the follow NTSC Standards; 480p, 480i, 720p, 720i, 1080p or 1080i resolutions at 29.97 frames per second. Any video that is not in these standards will be converted and may result in loss of quality or become off sync.
- No watermarks, labels, or any subtitles in the original footage. This is not limited to those who put studio tags at the beginning or end of the video. However, ONLY A STUDIO TAG, not the editors name. Please use RAW editing footage. Also use high quality footage. Anything too grainy on the screens will be automatically disqualified.
- Audio from the source anime is fine, or from yourself. But please use more music then audio. An example of a perfect balance of music and original audio is available at http://vimeo.com/38416055
- Please use footage of your own creation. Do not steal someone else's AMVs and label them as your own. Even if you have permission to use someone else's video in your own it does not capture your style as an editor but someone else's, and so you will be disqualified.
- Each video must not be more than 5 minutes in length. Although there are some pretty epic 10 minute long songs out there, please do not use them, or at least cut them to fit within the time limit. We only have a limited time for the event, and as such we need to show all the videos for the competition.
- You are allowed to submit Collaboration videos. But please note there will only be one award.
- As soon as you send your video to Ochiba~Con it becomes property of the convention. Do not send your master copy, we will not send it back. Also by submitting the video to Ochiba~Con you are giving us permission to utilize your submission without restriction.
- Video's not following any of these rules will be disqualified. You will receive confirmation of your disqualification.
- This is also a ticketed event, you will only gain access to Ochiba~Con's Anime Music Video Competition through your Ochiba~Con pass to be shown at the door.
When choosing a song and anime to edit with keep in mind there may be present little children who will be viewing the contest. The contest itself is a rated 14A event. Horror-esque AMVS are fine but please keep any gore to a minimum. Yaoi and Yuri themes are fine but do not use explicit "hentai" scenes. Keep it light and romantic. If the swearing in the song is necessary –for example Lady Gaga's Bad Romance; it is used not in an offensive way but in a catchy light way- then swearing is fine; nothing derogatory towards any race, gender, or sexuality.
The entries will be pre-screened for the judges, and awards will be presented at the end of the event, so stick around your name maybe called!
Exhibition: No Competition, No Limits
If you do not want to be judged, but just see your video on the big screen than this is the category for you. We will just show your video for pure entertainment. However, there is a limit for this category. It will be closed if we get too many submissions.
Open: Any skill! Do you have what it takes to come out on top?
This category is for anyone to enter. Those who have done competitions before are encouraged to enter into this section. If you are confident as an editor and want to compete against the best and come out on top, this is the section for you. Only by entering this category will you be able to aim for the highest award.
- Best Romance, Drama and Sentimental Depending on the number of submissions will decide whether this category is combined or not. These types of videos focus on story and touching the viewer's heart more so than anything else.
- Best Action or Flow Editing This category will rely on your abilities to match the music perfectly. Synchronization to beats, transitioning to different scenes, heart thumping action that keeps your eyes glued to the screen.
- Best Comedy Make the crowd laugh, poke-fun at ridiculous anime stunts, or just get carried away with internet memes.
- Best Dance These types of videos will be the ones that want to make everyone get up and move.
Novice: Beginner Skill
If you are just starting out as an editor, or just are not confident enough to join in the open contest, then this is the section for you. If you believe you are truly a diamond in the rough. There will be one overall winner in this competition.
Manga: Comic, images, Visual Novel Graphics, original art or fanart videos.
You can use any images for this specific part of the competition. But please if you are using fan art, ask the original artist before you use them. This category will depend on how artistic you are, you can colour in the original black and white mangas, you can crop and mask like crazy, but the videos in this must be images, no actual animation. (Animating mangas is fine; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRqx1P7EC5o )
Challenge: Iron Chef Multi-editor project
This is going to be a one-week editing challenge. Each editor will be given a select part of a song (voted on by the judges and other staff members, so there is no bias), that they will have to edit too. Depending on how many people are interested will depend on the length of the parts and length of the song. For example; you may get a part that is about 15-40 seconds in length.
To participate in this please just email the judges. More information will be available closer to the day the challenge starts
- ORIGINALITY This is the main thing the judges will be looking for. Is your idea unique? How does your editing style compare with everyone else's?
- Genre Were you able to pull off what you intended? Did your action video pump up the judges, or did your romance video set everyone's hearts a flutter?
- Sync Did you hit the beats? Is your lip sync spot on? Does the music fit the mood?
- Technical Editing This includes everything from effects on the clips to the quality of your clips.
Depending on how many submissions we get there may-be certain awards for categories like romance, action, story, and overall fun videos.
- Best in Show The Greatest, most wonderful, most jaw-dropping, most amazing AMV at Ochiba~Con's competition. This is the absolute goal for those in the open category.
- Category Awards Drama, Romance, Action
- Novice Award Who was the greatest newbie of the year? Who truly is the diamond in the rough?
- Best MMV Pretty self explanatory, the best Manga music video.
- Best Artistic Impression The unique flow, story, effects all blending together to create a work of art, not just an AMV.
- Staff Pick An AMV that not just the judges enjoyed thoroughly but the other con staff.
- Honorable Mentions This category is for those that left an impression but did not meet all the criteria to earn top marks in any of the other categories.
Firstly you must email the video as an attachment to the judges. You can upload your video to animemusicvideo.org and send us the link to download it. As well you can upload the video to various file sharing sites. With your email you are to attach the following form alongside filled out with your information. Personal information will not be shared with anyone minus the judges themselves. Putting down your address is optional; however we do plan on sending out certificates as awards to those that have won if you do not attend.
Subject of the email: Ochiba~Con AMV Competition - 2013
Entry Form Download PDF
We are not doing DVD/CD submissions.
When you submission has been received you will be sent a confirmation email.
Do not upload to sites like Youtube and then forward the link to us. Youtube sometimes will take down the AMV and ripping from Youtube does not guarantee the best quality.
This is a link to the "Orgs" tutorial page, everything you need to know about video and audio editing: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech31/